THE ARTIST, THE PASSION, THE DRIVE
ABOUT SHAWN LEE - The Photographer
Shawn Lee is the founder and owner of Shawn Lee Studios in Southfield, MI and Detroit, MI. His "edgy punch it" style along with his energetic approach to photography have caused his photos to grace several Local, National and International media forums and publications. Shawn is a photography instructor for and Schoolcraft College in Livonia, Michigan and is the head of diversity for the Professional Photographers of America which is the largest photography membership organization in the world with over 30,000 members in over 50 countries. He is also the co-founder of XPOSURE 101 Photography Conference which hosts over 300 photographers from around the country for 3 days of high level instruction geared toward diversity.
Shawn is featured on the Speaker Team for Miller's Professional Imaging, the largest professional lab organization in the United States. Shawn also won the “Spirit of Detroit” Award given by World Architecture News and Buro Happold, a global engineering firm in partnership with Detroit Works. As a result, his Award winning photograph “Dawn of Detroit” was exhibited in London's West End for a four month stint in 2011.
Along with being an artist, photography instructor and entrepreneur, Shawn has been passionate in the service of community for over 19 years. Shawn serves as a board member and Director of Photography for TEDxDetroit and is the head mentor for the Crescent Academy School District in Southfield, MI. Shawn is also the founder and director of "I SEE DETROIT", his Fine Art Photography turned community initiative which features an annual photographic tour that brings photographers from across the nation to photograph the jewels of the city of Detroit. Shawn is former Co-host of the popular radio show Community Driven which aired every Saturday morning at 8am on WLQV AM1500 Salem Communications. It focused on local initiatives, organizations, people and businesses that had positive impact on community with a very lively and upbeat approach.
You'll often hear Shawn say, "RUN THAT!" or "BRING THE PAIN!", and most recently...“ROCK THAT!”, which are his energetic terms for making life happen. He approaches photography, his love for people and his numerous community service initiatives very much the same way... with a great deal of enthusiasm.
- Miller's Professional Imaging Speaker Team (Featured)
- Imaging USA Platform Speaker 2016
- PSPI Platform Speaker 2016
- WPPI Platform Speaker 2015
- WPPI Photowalk Leader 2015
- B&H Event Space 2015
- KPPA, Kansas School 2016
- KPPA Fall Shutter Expo 2015
- WPPI-University Speaker 2014
- WPPI Platform Speaker 2014
- Imaging USA 2014 Booth Speaker
- Day of Photography Conference Featured Speaker 2013
- Day of Photography Conference Featured Speaker 2014
- "I SEE DETROIT" Fine Art Photography series
- Official Photographer Brand Camp University - Brand Camp Conferences - NYC, Boston, Detroit (Current)
- Photography Instructor Midwest Photography Workshops (2006-2016)
- Photography Instructor Schoolcraft College
- William Malcolm Man of Style Contest Co-Organizer and Official Photographer
- The Blue Tie Project Photo Campaign & Creative Direction
- The Suit Project Photo Campaign Official Photographer
- “Jazz on the Grass” 2008, 2009
- 2009 Jazz on the Grass MC
- Co-Director “The Suit Project”
- Session Speaker- Fashion Group International’s 2010 Career Day
- Co-Host of radio talk show "Community Driven" AM1500 Faith Talk radio.
- Board Member - Director of Photography TEDxDetroit (Present)
- Board Member - Future Focused (2012-2015)
- Board Member - Teen H.Y.P.E. (Helping Youth by Providing Education) (2012-2015)
- City of Detroit official Male Engagement Task Force 2014(Detroit City Councilmen James Tate and Andre Spivey)
- Board Member - Oakland County Employment Diversity Council (O.C.E.D.C.) 2011-2013
- Executive Committee - National Kidney Foundation of Michigan - Kidney Ball Fundraiser 2010-2011
- Teen H.Y.P.E. Summer Educator (2011)
- Instructor-Ambassador Bible Training School 2007-2009
- Professional / Motivational Speaker
- Community Leader / Organizer Ordained Minister-19 years (Current)